Position: Manager of Building Services (Chief Building Official)
Fulltime / Full Benefit Position
The beautiful town of Princeton, located in the sunny Similkameen Valley, has a great lifestyle opportunity. If you are someone looking for an exciting job in a location that boasts clean air, clean water and excellent natural outdoor experiences, this might be for you. The Town offers affordable housing, low taxation and a great place to live. A paradise for those who are looking to connect with nature and the outdoors.
The Town is experiencing a time of substantial growth. Currently we have seen an increase in construction at our Industrial park and a need for new residential subdivisions and services. This is a great opportunity for someone to be a part of an exciting time in Princeton’s history.
This is a fulltime position with the Town of Princeton (based on 35 hours/week), to oversee and manage the operations of the Building Services Department.
Under the supervision of the CAO, the Manager of Building Services oversees the daily operation of the building department, establishes work schedules and assigns daily tasks. The Building Services Manager is responsible for inspections of new and existing structures and building systems. This work entails interpretation of bylaws and acts, the issuance of building permits and stop work orders if required, inspecting building construction and other installations during progress and on completion, examining plans and permit applications for compliance with standards and regulations, and providing information and assistance to the public on a variety of matters related to the work.
Areas of Responsibility
- Review, assess and enforce compliance with building bylaws, codes, statutes and regulations pertaining to building safety and regulatory standards of the BC building code.
- Conduct field inspections.
- Responsible for plan reviews and permit issuance, approving and/or rejecting inspected work, answering technical questions and inquiries, preparing correspondence and inspection reports, respond and advising building tradesmen on best practices and procedures.
- Exercise good judgment at all times, ensuring excellent customer service within the municipality.
- Works with the Manager of Protective Services to review bylaws and ensure that they are up to date, enforcement of the bylaws, and address community complaints as needed.
- Provides the CAO and Council with reports, professional advise and recommendations as needed.
- Performs other related duties as may be required or assigned by the CAO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be a self-starter who demonstrates initiative in the performance of the general duties.
- Must have sound knowledge of residential and commercial construction.
- Must have sound knowledge of the BC Building Code.
- The ability to exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with the general public is required at all times with a desire for the pursuit of excellence of service.
- Must have previous experience working in the field of construction, carpentry or mechanical trades. Trades Qualification in Carpentry would be considered an asset.
- Post-secondary diploma in Building Technology.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of previous experience as a municipal building inspector.
- Must have experience in leading staff.
- Must have a Level 2 or Level 3 certification from the Building Officials Association of BC.
- Must have a valid class 5 drivers’ license.
- Must have grade 12
- Completed a current criminal records check.
This position is exempt and offers an attractive and competitive wage and benefit package based on a 35-hour workweek and a moving allowance. Consideration will be given to previous municipal service in regards to annual vacation entitlement.
This job posting is open until filled.
If you would like to apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
CAO, Town of Princeton
or by mail:
Town of Princeton